In my classes, I suggest the use of affirmations. Affirmations are short, positive statements that inspire confidence and positive feelings. I have a handout that is printed on the front side with affirmations for mothers to read to themselves and the reverse has the same affirmations worded in such a way that they can be easily read to the woman.
The book Mind over Labor by Carl Jones, there are some affirmations listed specifically for fathers:
- I am able to make the best possible choices for a healthy, joyful birth.
- I see my partner as a strong and capable woman.
- I am able to support my partner during pregnancy and birth.
- We are working harmoniously together. We are grateful for this powerful experience.
- The power of birth strengthens me, my child, and my partner.
For women he shares the following ideas for affirmations, some of which are really nice and I should add to my handout above!
- Childbirth is a normal, healthy event.
- My body is my friend.
- I trust my body to labor smoothly and effectively.
- I am able to birth in harmony with nature, in the best possible way for myself and my baby.
- My baby and I are working harmoniously together. We are grateful for this powerful experience.
- The strength of my contractions is an expression of my feminine power.
- I fully feel the force of new life within me.
- I allow myself to celebrate the birth of my child with every sensation I feel.
- I am giving our baby the very best start in life.